ruminations

This is a chance to get all those things that keep me awake at night out of my head and well, somewhere else. Stephen King did it and look at how well he did!

Friday, July 28, 2006

Still waiting, but Ride Day is Coming!

Okay, so I still haven't gotten my permit yet. Again, Patience is the key. I have been online, though, reading everything about my bike that I can. The VN750.com site is great. I have learned so much about riding and maintaining my MC, that my confidence is growing. My jacket arrived and it is beautiful. The pants are still somewhere in the "fulfillment process." But with a good pair of Levi's and the rest of my gear, I feel okay about safety.

I had an interesting conversation yesterday with three women, all in their 40's or 50's. I told them I bought a motorcycle and they were all very positive and encouraging with their comments! None of them was worried or negative in any way. The only concern was that I wear protective gear. I find this really interesting as, historically, women have tended to be less likely to be supportive of motorcycle riding. Maybe with the price of gas so high, everyone is thinking about how to save money, and riding is a great way to do that.

I did do some re-con yesterday. On my way to a meeting I stopped at a Kawasaki dealer a little further from my house but much friendlier than the one nearer to me. I also ordered an owner's manual for my bike. I paid 20 bucks and though I have to wait for it, I didn't have to pay the shipping Kawasaki.com wanted. I see it this way: I save a couple of bucks, and start a relationship with a dealership who can service my bike. I also went to my local battery dealer. Everyone online was talking about getting a maintanence free battery. It will be a little over 70 bucks, but from what I can tell, well worth it.

Sunday, I take the safety course. Monday, I have PT for my knee (which, by the way is doing great!) then I will go to the DMV and get my permit. Then I will go home, get my gear on and go for a ride! Then Tuesday, I will take my first trip on the highway and put about a hundred and twenty miles on the bike. I can wait, but just barely!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home