ruminations

This is a chance to get all those things that keep me awake at night out of my head and well, somewhere else. Stephen King did it and look at how well he did!

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Motorcycle mama

Well, I found a cycle! I can't go and see it before Sunday as my pal David, who has a valid license and can drive it home, is out of town until late Saturday night. I can hardly wait. The bike is an '01 Vulcan 750 with only 1900 miles! and affordable- at least in my range. I was going to look at a '96 Virago with tons of bells and whistles for the same price, but I just can't pay the same for a '96 as for an '01 especially when the Virago has a ton more miles on it. Saturday, I take the motorcycle safety course, and Monday I will get my learner's permit. I have been reading everything I can on learning to drive (I certainly didn't know what I was doing in the late '80s) and looking at as many helmets websites and reviews as I can find. The best buy from MC Consumer News (the mc version of Consumer Reports) is the Nolan 100e, and I have to find somewhere in the area that sells them. The Nolan is pricey, but as it is protecting my most important part, it seems like a pretty important buy. The 100e is a modular helmet, which is the best of both worlds- you can put it on with your glasses on your face and it locks into place to be a full-face job. Well, as soon as the Vulcan is in my hot little hands I will post a photo.

By the way, I saw the doc yesterday and told him of my plan to get a bike and he said "absolutely! enjoy the summer." He is amazed at how well my knee is doing, especially because it was much more of a mess than he thought it was, and agrees with me that the scar tissue was holding my knee stable. He also said my ACL is compromised, but that we could wait on dealing with it for a while. I start PT on Friday, mostly for stability and strengthening. The doctor also said we could wait to do surgery on the other knee. At least until mid-September. That makes it possible for me to really enjoy riding the bike for a while before I go under the knife again. The left shoulder can wait until winter.

I am glad to wait on the next surgery. No matter how well my right shoulder and right knee are doing, they are still "in recovery." I still wake up with pain, especially in my shoulder. It is probably because I sleep on it, and no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to sleep on the other one, (though that one hurts when I sleep on it, too!). Taking a break from surgery also gives me time to really get the other joints strong so they can support the surgeries on the other side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home