ruminations

This is a chance to get all those things that keep me awake at night out of my head and well, somewhere else. Stephen King did it and look at how well he did!

Sunday, July 16, 2006

tired, frustrated and bored

Yes, I am tired and bored and more than a little frustrated with the wait for the follow up appointment with my doctor. I just finished two books, one of which was average, The Alienest, the other of which was a real disappointment, The Dante Club. I am a voracious reader and nothing is worse than getting a hundred pages into a book and realizing it is not all it was cracked up to be. ARRGH! Unlike books by Laurie R. King, these had promise but not much to back it all up. Laurie King on the other hand has promise and the pace and talent to move one through to the end. The difficulty with The Dante Club, is that I really wanted to like the characters, Longfellow, Holmes, Lowell are all familiar names to me. I wanted to see more of their poetic character flow into the characterizations.

On the other hand, The Dante Club, did inspire me to go back to The Divine Comedy and I am looking for the actual translation by Longfellow... not an easy thing to find, by the way. Caleb Carr's The Alienest did give me a chance to see a character I was not very familiar with in a totally different light. It was good enough to suggest others who enjoy a good mystery read it.

I would rather suggest that folks read Laurie King's Mary Russell series or her Kate Martinelli series. You can go to http://www.librarything.com/catalog/kaitbr to see more of the books I have in my library. I love books and the catalog is not complete yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home